“Give me one hundred [people] who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergyman or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon the earth.” –John Wesley
Does this describe you? Are you under age 35 and a clergy person in the United Methodist Church?
I invite you to be a part of a collaboration of young clergy at The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection on October 8, 2009 just prior to the Leadership Institute 2009.
We will continue on the trajectory set by 40 Days of Prayer and 6 Questions for The United Methodist Church and seek to raise up leaders, share stories and create next steps to renew the church.
You are invited to:
- Make arrangements to be present on October 8, 2009 at The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection.
- Sign up at http://ow.ly/jjEE to confirm your presence.
- After sign up, look to receive emails with “UMC Young Clergy Collaboration” in the subject line for time, location and how to prepare for October 8.
- Invite two other young clergy to join you.
On or before July 1, 2014 an elder within the United Methodist Church will be appointed within the Kansas Area to oversee a network of house churches across the state that worship via a live internet stream.
These house church will consist of 12-20 people who meet together for worship, hold each other accountable to discipleship, seek to invite others into relationship with Jesus and watch over each other in love. As the house church grows to more than 20 people, the group will form two groups and continue to have the opportunity to grow. Committed lay leaders will be trained, equipped and sent out to create and lead these communities of faith in their neighborhood, town or county. This lay leader will be responsible for collecting money for God’s work, visiting the sick, encouraging and discipling members of the house church.
An ordination track elder in the United Methodist Church will be appointed to the Kansas House Church Charge which will consist of up to 12 house churches. This elder will be present with the house church in worship at least every other month to offer the sacraments of communion and baptism. This elder will also be responsible for the equipping and discipling of the house church leaders. When the elder is overseeing more than 8 house churches, the Kansas House Church Charge will become two appointments to allow the churches to ensure that the equipping, leadership and discipling of the house church leaders is manageable.
- would be a catalyst for making new places for new people within the United Methodist Church.
- is scalable from the house church to the annual conference to the global church.
- could provide a spark to plant churches that would build a physical building.
- has potential to help revitalize the denomination.
What is your initial reaction to this potential new appointment?
Thanks to @clifguy for the conversation that lead to this post.