I have attended Leadership Institute at The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection every year that I have served under appointment as a United Methodist preacher. I was only able to be present for one day this year, but it was still worth it. Here is what made it good:
- Connection – It is great to reconnect with both congregants and staff at the church, as well as colleagues from across the conference and around the connection.
- Remembering – Nicole and I began our life as a married couple serving as associate pastors. They were formative years in discovering how to be a couple and how to be a pastor.
- Time Away – I am able to rest in the reality that, even for just a few moments, someone else is tending to all the details at church.
- Inspiration – The speakers and workshops are excellent. They help stretch my mind beyond what is to what might be.
- Being Present – It is good to be around a big group of people that are committed to making progress in their local church – wherever that may be. There is a tangible sense that we are all about God’s work in the mission field.
I realized this year that it has become a bit of a pilgrimage for me and I am glad for the opportunity to return.