A couple weeks ago, I traveled to Houston for continuing education focused on highly functioning teams. It was part of the Advancing Pastoral Leadership program that I have been part of for several years. We had the opportunity to hear from leaders from Chick-fil-A, NASA, and Chapelwood UMC. It was an excellent learning opportunity and there was much that I found valuable. Here are just a few quotes that were significant for me:
- “Don’t coast.” – Janice Virtue
- “Just because you are a good leader doesn’t mean you are good at leading people.” – Kate Potter
- “No one is smart enough to run everything.” – Wayne Hale
- “All great projects, halfway through, look like a disaster.” – Wayne Hale
- “There is no perfect solution” – Wayne Hale
- “If you want everyone to be on the same page, there has to be a page.” – Bob Johnson
I am grateful for the opportunity to learn and continue to develop my leadership abilities to serve the congregation and community.