I came to SXSW Interactive 2011 to gain perspectives, discover technology and learn practical steps that will help Resurrection Online fulfill our purpose of building a Christian community where non and nominally religious people are becoming deeply committed Christians. Over the next few days, I will share some highlights and next steps from the day for Resurrection Online and myself.
My Experience – Day 1
- I will likely take free stuff – T-shirt from Gowalla, headband and mmmpanadas from Groupon, and a taste of Man Bites Dog from SquareSpace.
- The line to pick up badges was where I saw the highest percentage of people engrossed in their mobile device that I had ever experienced.
- I think I had a sense of what coming to Leadership Institute at Resurrection is like for some people – This is the biggest conference that I have ever attended and it is overwhelming at times.
- Well run logistics, especially transportation and registration, are necessary for a conference to have a chance at success. Well done SXSW.
- Some people are here to party. I am not.
MicroMarketing: Get Big Results by Thinking and Acting Small
- The next big thing is no more big things. There are a lot of small things.
- Content consumption and production has become shorter over time – books to magazine or newspaper articles to blogs to 140 character updates.
- Small content can travel fast and free far across the web.
- For many marketers micro media and short form content is a mess – you cannot market in mass ways on the internet.
- Learn from how constituents are actually engaging with content instead of case studies and best practices.
Why Everything is Amazing But Nobody is Happy
- What is an amazing piece of technology to which you feel entitled, so much so that you complain about it when it doesn’t work exactly like you want it?
- Bilocationality is trying to be two places at once, often using technology.
- Social media is information poor as a result of no nonverbal communication.
- Interacting with the internet is behavior that may become compulsive, however may not be addictive.
- Explore opportunities to create positive competitive environments.
Metrics for Social Media: The Net Promoter Score
- I did not make it in to this presentation because the room was full when I arrived late, as a result of the shuttle ride between locations.
Ignite SXSW – 2021 Vision of the Future
- I took part in the egg drop competition to try to win a Roku. I did not win.
- Free quesadillas and nachos were supper for me.
- The first few presentations were unimpressive, so I came back to my hotel.
Next Steps for Resurrection Online
- Be aware that Resurrection Online is amazing technology to which some people feel entitled.
- Be aware that Resurrection Online encourages bilocationality – people trying to be two places at once.
- Provide guidance for people to prepare offline for worship online. Some internal preparation may be helpful before you turn on the screen.
- Create opportunities for positive competitive environments – best guidance, most faithful next steps, insightful response to scripture or worship, etc.
- Investigate http://www.theforgivenessengine.com and http://compassionpit.com
Next Steps for Me
- Beware of book readings at conferences.
- Visit the 2 Week SXSW Apple Store to take a look at the new iPad.
- Pay attention to venues when selecting sessions or workshops – being present at a second choice session is better than missing a first choice session.
- There is not a need to do everything at SXSW, at work or home.
- Be present.