I have had several clergy friends ask about the details of my recent paternity leave, so I wanted to share some of the questions and my responses, as well as the letter that I used to initiate the process.
- I was on paid leave for 5 weeks full time and 3 weeks part time.
- My responsibilities were covered by another staff member at Resurrection. The local church that covered the cost for my responsibilities.
- My supervisor arranged coverage with another staff member. I recognize that there are some distinctions about this and it may not be so helpful for other situations.
- The staff person who covered for me was responsible for the very basic routine. All strategic development was put on hold until I returned.
- I am a full elder in the Kansas West Annual Conference serving in the Kansas East Annual Conference. I am not aware of a standard plan for either of these annual conferences.
- I put together basic instructions for the person that was covering my responsibilities and wrote the following letter to initiate the leave.
October 25, 2010
Staff Parish Relations Committee
c/o Chair of Staff Parish
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, KS 66224
Dear Staff Parish Relations Committee,
My wife, and I are expecting the birth of our first child in January. The current due date is January 2, 2011. I would like to would like to request Paternity Leave according to the provisions found in ¶356 of the 2008 Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church.
I would like to take full time leave beginning January 2 and continuing until February 5, 2011. I will make arrangements with my supervisor, for complete coverage during these five weeks. I would like to take part time leave beginning February 6 and continuing to February 26, 2011. I will be available for weekend worship responsibilities, important scheduled meetings and will be available by and responsive to email communication during these three weeks. I would like to return to full time responsibility beginning on February 27, 2011.
I will continue to be in conversation with my supervisor to address any particular considerations for coverage or other issues regarding this leave request. Will you please let me know what, if any, additional next steps need to be taken to receive this leave? Thank you for your time and consideration!
Grace and Peace,
Supervisor at the local church
Director of Human Resources at the local church