There are clear indicators of effective clergy that would ensure that she or he would receive an appointment regardless of whether her or his appointment is guaranteed in the United Methodist Church. There are also churches that are more and less healthy. In April, the Connectional Table of the United Methodist Church suggested that there are five areas to be measured in a church:
- worship attendance
- disciples engaged in mission
- professions of faith
- mission giving
- spiritual / discipleship formation groups.
Unhealthy churches are those that are not breaking even or growing in these areas. Other, less official indicators include:
- Requesting that 3 of the last 5 appointed pastors move in less than two years.
- No clear mission or vision.
- Unwelcoming to first time guests.
What would you add to this list?