I don’t know what it is like where you go to church or work, but around The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection there are some sayings that frequent conversation among leaders.
- A few nuggets – Valuable bits of information salvaged from a conversation or meeting. For example, “Here are a few nuggets from the meeting…” or I picked up a few good nuggets from [insert name here].”
- Speak into that – Adding additional information on a topic, occasionally used in a perplexed pause in the conversation. For example, “Let me speak into that for a minute…”
- How cool is that – A rhetorical question or exclamation used when reflecting on ministry outcomes or considering plans that are moving forward. For example, “We are going to send dozens of mission teams to Haiti, how cool is that?!”
- I’m jazzed – used to reference something about which one is excited. For example, “I am jazzed about [insert ministry area or initiative].”
- Push back on that – A tool used to provide critique or voice disagreement, most often in a meeting. For example, “I am going to push back on that. We should actually consider…”
- Talk offline – used to put a stop to tangential conversations in a meeting, a request for the individuals to talk outside of the meeting when the topic doesn’t affect others in the group. For example, “Could you talk offline about that?
Do any of these sound familiar to you? If you are connected with Resurrection, what else would you add to the list? If you are not connected with Resurrection, what are some sayings that are familiar to you and other leaders in your church?