I have been thinking a lot about the United Methodist Church, including the Top 5 Reasons I Stay in The United Methodist Church earlier in the week.
My vision for the United Methodist Church is that:
- Every church or charge will have at least one new member join by profession of faith each year.
- United Methodists will be known in their community by the practice of their faith and care for their neighbors.
- Every church or charge that needs to close will do so graciously and generously.
- Each United Methodist will take seriously the call to offer Christ to those who have not received the good news.
- Each United Methodist will be committed to the denomination only to the extent that it is effective for making disciples of Jesus Christ.
- No United Methodist will hold so tightly to the past as to prevent following God’s active spirit.
Check back tomorrow for ideas about how this might happen and feel free to share your vision.