I received this question from a blog reader like you. Do you have a question? Check out this post to let me know.
At The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, our facilities are fully accessible according to ADA guidelines. In regard to the particular questions from the reader:
- Is it easy to get in the door to the church? Yes. There are automatic door openers at each door to the West Building and several main doors in the East Building.
- Are their spaces reserved for wheelchairs in the auditorium? Yes. In many of the sections on the main level.
- Are your handicapped parking spaces accessible for vans with ramps? Yes. Not all of the handicapped parking spaces are accessible for vans with ramps, but there are some that are available.
- Is it easy for a person in a wheelchair to use your bathrooms? This is a more difficult question for me, but I believe so. This is based on ADA compliance. I do not know from a conversation or personal experience.
- What other provisions do you have for people in wheelchairs? Before the worship service, parking attendants guide those who are in need of priority parking to the right places. Additional assistance may be provided by ushers if necessary.
This question has meaning beyond facilities. I believe that our church is handicap accessible in our purpose, vision, journey, programs and ministries. I believe that, as the church, it is essential to be inclusive of all people and to communicate that God loves them, we love them and that life can be different [through Jesus Christ]. (Thanks to Mike Chamberlain for the last three points.)
Is the church handicap accessible? Yes and it should continue to be in physical facilities and in spirit of the community.
3 replies on “Is the church handicap accessible?”
Thanks Andrew for the response.. it was very helpful! We have been enjoying the live webcast of the Sunday morning service and hope to make it to a truly live one soon 🙂
You are welcome. Let me know when you are able to make it out, I would like to meet you and your wife.
Thx Andrew.. I look forward to meeting you!