A few weeks ago, I received a question from Wesley from Outside the Box on my Facebook wall about tips for successful blogging. While I do not claim to be an expert, here are my top 10 suggestions for a successful pastor’s blog.
- Define your audience – congregation? church leaders? others in your denomination? Outside the denomination?
- Write good content.
- Write regularly.
- Read other blogs for ideas on types of posts and style of writing
- Comment on other blogs with a link back to your blog. Participation in community is good.
- Read the blogging church by Brian Bailey and Terry Storch
- Check out Blogging 101 for Pastors
- Spread the word about your blog – email, newsletter, etc.
- Define what success means to you – a certain number of readers, an outlet for your own writing and reflection, getting the word out about something… Don’t let someone else define success for you.
- Be patient.
You can also find some great tips from Merlin Mann at What Makes for a Good Blog?