Yesterday was the third and final day that I was a part of General Conference in person. Opening worship was excellent including a convicting sermon by Bishop João Somane Machado of the Mozambique Annual (regional) Conference. He had some convicting words for the United Methodist Church, in effect – what happened to the spiritual fervor and missional focus that you had before? A few thoughts from the day:
- I was interviewed by Jenny for the UMC Young Clergy documentary which she is developing. I think that it is going to be a great project.
- The human sexuality debate within the United Methodist Church is painful, tense and emotional. At times we just do not trust each other.
- Another serious and painful issue is the relationship between the United States and other countries – both in the delegate relationships and in the church organization. Too often it felt like us and them.
- The conferences committee is working on some ground breaking legislation that has the potential to create a seismic shift in the denomination that has great potential for missional effectiveness.
- Reata Restaurant has amazing food. I ordered my first ever steak medium rare as this is what was recommended for the particular cut. It was good, but I do not think that I will make that level of cooking a habit.
2 replies on “Day 3 – GC2008”
Just make sure you don’t ruin a steak by ordering it any more than medium.
Ian – Wow. I must say that I will usually get a medium well, but did enjoy the medium 🙂