I spent last week at a youth camp, Institute 2010: God’s All Stars, which is a ministry of the Conference Council on Youth Ministry of the Kansas East Annual Conference. This post is part of a series reflecting on the week and making applications for the local church.
Part of the practice of the week at camp was to share a prayer square. Here is the practice of the prayer squares:
- Choose a strip of cloth from the cross as a part of morning worship.
- Write your name on the square and carry it with you throughout the day.
- Return the strip of cloth to the cross as a part of evening worship.
- Repeat the next day and continue to be in prayer for all those whose names are written on the cloth.
- On the last day, take one home with you.
This is a cool practice. In addition to the opportunity to be in prayer, I was struck by the power of the entire camp moving forward to the cross. These pictures are from morning worship. You can see the cross in the front covered with green prayer squares and the students moving forward to the cross.
In what ways is your local church inviting people to the cross?
How are people equipped to pray for one another?
It has been a crazy day. Here’s the run down…
- Phone call from my dad letting me know that my grandmother on my mom’s side died early this morning. This was not unexpected, but that does not necessarily make it any easier. Funeral will likely be Monday or Tuesday in Plains, KS.
- Went to the grand opening of the Apple Store, Leawood, picked up a free t-shirt as one of the first 1,000 there and played with the new iPhone 3G.
- Picked up a patio table, chairs and sun shade as well as some other miscellaneous from the church rummage sale.
- Had a sloppy joe for lunch
- Spent time with God using the Grow. Pray. Study Guide. That has really been an excellent tool and I have used it every day.
- Getting ready to put a third and final coat of paint on our master bedroom and then headed to our apartment to get everything packed up for the moving extravaganza bright and early tomorrow morning.
Nicole and I are in the middle of moving into a new house and I really mean in the middle. We purchased a new home about 10 minutes south west of the church and have been spending the night there since July 4 on an inflatable mattress. We are in the process of painting several rooms and are hosting a moving extravaganza this Saturday. Interested in helping? Just let me know…
Here are a few pictures that you might enjoy.
The front of our new home
After the first coat of “Frank Blue” in the kitchen